Bring the Ancient Church to your Retreat or Group with an Icon Painting Workshop
- Be a part of history
- Deepen your connection with God, community, and creation
- Join the movement!
Painting icons is an ancient, contemplative art form that transformed whole societies in the middle ages, and still has great spiritual relevance today. Painted by monks and by spiritual lay-people who were a part of a guild, icons played an important role in the spiritual lives of Christians for over a thousand years. Icons are just as powerful today, and can be learned by anyone who is sincere and prayerful in their approach.
No Artistic Experience or Ability is Necessary to Learn to Paint Icons
Icon painting workshops are open to anyone who is interested in learning the ancient contemplative art form; all that is required is a humble and prayerful approach. New Jersey Council on the Arts grant award recipient Vas Avramidis, is available to guide and teach your group this ancient art form. He has been teaching iconography to both children and adults for several years with excellent results.
“Sixth grade was the first year you had us paint icons; I remember it was an icon of Mary. Ever since then I have always looked forward to completing a new icon every year.” – Julia H., Grade 8
Prayer, Paint, and Theology: Icon Workshops Bring Participants Closer to God
Attending or hosting a icon workshop can be a profound and memorable experience. Because of its contemplative nature, icons have the power to awaken our inner “saint.” Our true aim in this life is to become walking icons ourselves; in other words, men and women, made in the image of God, and transformed into His likeness.
- Learn the ancient contemplative art of icon painting
- Traditional egg tempera (Acrylic icon painting also available for children, and those who prefer ready made paints.)
- No experience necessary
- All are welcome regardless of religion, artistic ability, or age.
- If you are interested in one-on-one lessons, please visit our private icon classes page.
Cost for Icon Painting Workshop
Fees may vary depending on the length and subject matter of the workshop, but a typical one week icon painting workshop will cost $775 per person.
Each workshop includes:
- A handmade wood board to paint your icon on
- Transferring drawing to the board
- Egg-tempera medium preparation (Or acrylic paint if desired)
- Painting instruction
- Calligraphic inscriptions
- Gilding with gold leaf
If you are interested in hosting an icon painting workshop in your area, please call 908-304-5541, or use the form below to receive more information.